Sunday 29 September 2013

The Chequered Lily Apothecary - Swatches & Review

Chequered Lily Apothecary
The Chequered Lily Apothecary is an indie makeup company on Etsy, run by the lovely Kimberly. I purchased a review pack a couple of months ago to try out some of the shades. I've been wanting to post them for a while, but the shop has been on holiday so I thought I would wait - I hate it when I see something on a blog that I *need* right away, and then find it is unavailable at that time! :)
Chequered Lily ApothecaryChequered Lily Apothecary Swatch
I received 8 baggie samples - Hearts in Ice managed to leak a bit (somehow! I couldn't figure out quite how it escaped :P). All of the bags were labelled with the shade name, the ingredients and whether they are lip/eye safe/vegan.

Chequered Lily Apothecary Swatch Hearts in Ice Grimoire
Hearts in Ice: 'Royal blue with subtle violet undertone and intense red iridescence.'
This shade is seriously pigmented and the red sheen is a great contrast with the base. One of my faves from this bunch!

Grimoire: 'Smoky Plum with Pink Undertone and Copper Shimmer'
Very aptly named in my opinion - the color really makes me think of the covers of old books and massive amounts of sparkles make it feel magical :D
Chequered Lily Apothecary Swatch Fireflies Labyrinth
Fireflies: 'Inky Purple/Gold Duochrome with Green/Gold Color-shift.'
Definitely my fave of the bunch, the purple/green combo always gets me! This one, and most of the other shades in the bunch are SUPER sparkly, I definitely recommend the use of a sticky base, such as Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy or Darling Girl Glitter Glue with these to keep those sparkles in place (unless you're going for the whole Twilight vampire in the sun look :D). The green against the dark purple base here is striking.

Labyrinth: 'Muddy Deep Violet-Brown with Blue and Aqua Sparkle.'
I can't resist a shade named after my favourite childhood movie! There is a shade names Jareth too for those David Bowie fans. Another intensley sparkly shade.
Chequered Lily Apothecary Swatches
(Left to Right: Hearts in Ice, Grimoire, Fireflies, Labyrinth)

Chequered Lily Apothecary Swatch Stranger Tides Under the Stars
Stranger Tides: (not currently listed so I couldn't borrow the description)
A gorgeous emerald green with a dark grey base, I can imagine this shade being very popular.

Under the Stars: 'Soft & Sheer Dirty Denim-Blue with Strong Gold Shimmer.'
Such a pretty shade of blue and I love how the gold in here twinkles away like little stars!
Chequered Lily Apothecary Swatch Princess Aurora Moonless Night

Princess Aurora: 'a metallic medium violet-pink with turquoise sparkles.'
A very pretty blue-toned pink with subtle turquoise sparkles - easy application on this one.

Moonless Night: 'Deep Inky Blue-Black with Orange Glitter'
I have to confess, I couldn't see the orange glitter in here at all - but I actually like it better that way than if it did have visible orange. Its very night-sky-esque and mysterious!
Chequered Lily Apothecary Swatches
(Left to Right: Stranger Tides, Under the Stars, Princess Aurora, Moonless Night)
I can happily recommend The Chequered Lily Apothecary especially if you like your eyeshadows sparkly (just don't forget that sticky base)! Shipping was fast, the owner is lovely and all of the shades are fantastic, with Fireflies being the standout for me. I also particularly like Moonless Night and Hearts in Ice. Samples are reasonably priced at $4.00 for 7 or $5.50 for 10 (USD), and shipping is available worldwide. (International ladies: shipping costs are particularly inexpensive on the 7 pack!). I estimate the samples to be about 1/6 teaspoon each, so a good amount for the price. 

Check out Chequered Lily Apothecary's shop here, and follow them on Facebook here.

Thanks for viewing my post :) xx

2 comments:

  1. I encountered this company about two years ago & while I have no full size jars I do have over 20 samples. My favorite is probably Grimoire although her golds & bronzes are also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete